Monday, May 10, 2010

Bimax = maximum discomfort

8 and 1/2 weeks past my Bimax surgery. I'm a mostly functional human being again. There are some exceptions. My body gets wore out pretty quick most days. I think it is mostly due to being down so long. Laying around a lot in the early weeks has led to fatigue now that I'm active. I'm still not eating solids, the liquid diet is no fun. Pain is still limited to the teeth area. Numbness is still a factor, although I think I'm getting a little more feeling in my left lower chin. I'm hoping for a full recovery on the nerve damage. Overall I'm still pretty miserable though.
The Bimax surgery (aka MMA) does a real number on you comfort wise.

I'm still very cautious about getting hit in the chin, worried if I get bumped it's going hurt and possibly do some damage. I went down a water slide the other day, and hit my butt on the pool bottom. I felt a little bit of pain in the jaw, the jostle was enough to remind me I'm still healing.

So I have an appointment in 1 1/2 weeks. Looking forward to the possibility of removing or loosening the bands so I can open my mouth even a little. I still find looking in the mirror is strange. My face I think is settled into what appears to be my final new look. I look different. Most say they notice I lost weight, only 1 or 2 people I know, said they most likely wouldn't recognize me if they didn't know it was me. I've not been on a scale in a couple weeks, so I'm not sure of any more weight loss. My guess, maybe 35-40 by now...only a guess.

My sleep still appears to be good, I'm curious to have a follow up sleep study to prove that I'm "cured".

Back to what is still bothering me......my sinuses. My inner ears are still full. Making hearing a chore. Talking is hard too. All I hear is myself, and you can't talk at the same time as anyone else as your own voice is amplified and overpowers anyone else talking in the room. This brings new meaning to "he like to hear himself talk!" Only I don't really....I rather not talk or listen to myself talk.

So what can I tell you about 8 weeks plus? It's still very frustrating, keeping positive is hard, pain is minimal, the desire to chew food is extreme. I'm not back to normal yet, and it feels like it will never happen, even though I know it will.

PS. I found most restaurants will blend their soups for you...sometimes you have to ask for the manager to get it done(Applebees). But most are very accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment