Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The saga continues

I'm back at the blog, 6 months have passed since my surgery. Updates first: My ear cleared up about a month ago, still fills when I blow my nose, but it re-drains, so I'm very happy to be able to hear again.

I'm still numb in the chin and roof of the mouth. I think my chin has regained a little more feeling, but its not full feeling. The roof of my mouth I think it still totally numb. I'm thinking I'm never going to get that back.....but I have hopes.

I had my sleep study, and went to my 6th month checkup. The good news, my doctor is a comedian. In relaying to me the results he said with a straight face that my sleep apnea events pre-surgery was 69 per hour. And post-surgery, 63!!! Not very much improvement right!! So after he sees the puzzled look on my face, he says...just messing with you.....5.3. So yes, 5.3 events per hour. 62.7 less events per hour! I'm cured, I have the report to prove it.

So I'm Cured!!??? I'm one of the 90+% success stories. Well except for the reclusion. My jaw muscles have pulled my lower jaw back a little bit opening my bite a bit. I'm now going to have to go see a orthodontist to see if that can be corrected. Of course at my own expense, health insurance isn't going to pay for this!! And if Orthodontics can't....another minor surgery can. My first question to the Dr. "what do YOU consider a minor surgery?". His reply was only the top jaw would be moved again. Since its easier to move and less complex because it it stationary.....sounds like fun....eh? I don't know if I would do this "minor" surgery if all it would fix is my ability to eat a bologna sandwich!

I still have issues with my looks, I can't get over the fact that my face looks different. I'm just not used to seeing myself in the mirror every day and looking different than I have my whole life. I suppose I'll get used to it, but after 6 months I still haven't!

What else can I say....the sleep is great....my wife doesn't have to listen to me snore, I feel more rested than I have in years. Its been a wild ride, I can't recommend this to anyone, it has not been pleasant. But it surely will change your life, it has change mine, for the better. Side effect aside it has been worth it. I'm confident that this decision has added years to my life both in health and in time not lost to worthless sleep. Maybe more to come..... I see my normal dentist next week and then a Ortho consult, sometime after that. Looks like the road keeps going for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment